Mines

 That Brown Girl is mine. No, this post is not about some sob love story or Michael Jackson but about Mines the fauji types.

Now, you may wonder why an Infantry Officer is writing on things that are the Engineers domain. Well I leave it to you to decide.

My first experience with Mines was in preparation for a Minelaying Competition (didnt participate btw). But anyway could handle them. In those times, the most common ones were ones that would blow up your foot if you stepped on them and those which would jump up and kill you if you got entangled in its wires or stepped on them. The NMM 14 and the M16 respectively.

Sometime later, the unit moved to the LC and we came to know that except for the beaten paths, one couldn't move anywhere because of the extensive minefields laid by both the Pakis and own side dating back to 65. Since our AoR comprised both sides of the erstwhile Cease Fire Line, these minefields were unrecorded. 

Anyway, so during our initial days itself, some bright spark in the higher HQ came up with an idea of laying anti infiltration minefields. So we got down to the job and finally laid Mines to the tune of tens of thousands to prevent infiltration. 

No obstacle is an obstacle unless its covered by observation and fire. This is the basic teaching in Infantry YOs. However, in that terrain this was impossible. Hence in every couple of days, all minefields are suppose to be cheked physically by Minefield checking parties who would know the rough alignment of the minefields and about once a month or two by atleast one member of the Minelaying party would accompany us.

So my turn came almost 8 to 9 months after I'd laid the Minefield since there was no one else available. So I took out the record form picked up a map and was off with the Minefield checking party. Now, someone has very correctly said " The most dangerous person on the battlefield is a youngster with a map". It so happened that we'd done the mine laying at the beginning of winters (Oct/ Nov) when the grass was dry and this was post monsoons when the grass was about chest high.

We started off and soon enough (after about 2 hrs) reached the Minefield. After checking the own side, a stroke of genius struck me, and I decided to check the other side too. We started off through the 'Safe lane' ( for the uninitiated, a safe lane comprises of an unmined area approx 3m for Inf and 6m for Armr). Now, the safe lane is supposed to be marked or atleast have some indication of where it begins.

So, in my own wisdom while laying it, I'd left the safe lane in a trench which was conveniently available. Anyway, we entered the trench. I was leading when one boy from the pioneer Platoon called out and said " Sahab, are you sure this is the safe lane" and I was like bc, ofcourse I'm sure. As I continued along the trench, he called out again " Sahab, wapis aa jao". Now I was irritated and gave him the choicest of gaalis basically indicating that I'm the boss and you bloody well come with me. Incidentally, only the two of us were in the trench. He replied " Sahab, mine".  

Now, after that, whatever I said or didn't is immaterial, anyway we realized that there was a mine in our "Safe lane". I told him to go back  but my own situation was that neither could I go back nor go forward. Anyway, I sat down, cleared my way and came back without loss of life or limb. Now, thinking back, I realize that whoever had said " Those who live by the sword, are destined to die by it. Thankfully I'm still here.

The next encounter with Mines was even better. After a mine blast, I rushed there, but since it was night, waited till morning. Then we realized that we didn't have anyone who knew the exact layout of the Minefield. I'd also been there a couple of times and hence had a fair idea about it. Being most experienced, I led the way with just one more boy. 

Now, a bit about the area or terrain. The Minefield was laid on one step of an area which must've been part of a farm and if you remember, step farming is resorted to in mountains.  

As we approached the general area where the mine blast had taken, unknowingly, I overshot the turn and instead of being in the step above the Minefield from where we could see which particular mine had been set off, we were in the Minefield. We continued for a short distance before some sixth sense warned me that I may have made a mistake and we both stopped. That's when I saw it. Right next to my leg. Told the boy to hold tight till I got back to him and then sat down on my haunches (to be able to keep my eyes closer to the ground). Anyway, both of us reached back safe. Whew, that was one experience which I ensured never happened again. What caused the blast you ask? Barking deer. So, as a consolation, recovered it and had a good meal.

The third incident happened (as told to me). So, another mine blast during the night, another search party despatched, this time there were two officers. The company Commander and his 2ic. They reached the site and immediately saw a barking deer in the Minefield. Having spent the whole night looking for terrorists who might have tried to infiltrate, they decided to get a hold of the consolation prize and head back. As soon as the company Commander and his buddy caught hold of the deers' hind legs, they were stopped. The irritated company Commander was informed by his 2ic to look closer at the deers' mouth. It was then that they realized that the deer had stepped onto a NMM14 and the force of the explosion had propelled it towards a M16 and its wire was in the deers open mouth. Had they tugged at the deer, the M16 would've got activated and well...

We were not always so lucky and had a share of serious injuries too. And not all mine blasts were caused by animals. I'll share the details in the next post.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lt Sushil Khajuria, KC(P)

Encounters of the wild kind

The GROUT